Monday, December 28, 2015

New Year Resolution

2015 was a great year for me. In terms of outward achievement, there's not much to say here: I'm still working at the same job I was in at the beginning of the year, at the same role, same designation and largely same salary. But on parameters exponentially more important, this was a great year. I think I developed good, healthy habits, was able to exercise far more control on myself, my feelings and my actions, developed a bit of a knack for staying rather happy most of the time, and possibly as a result of that was able to learn a lot about some of my favorite subjects, and about myself.

For the next year, my resolution is to continue on the same path, maybe a little faster. I failed badly in 2015 to deliver on my resolution of updating the blog every day with new things I learned. I did learn a lot about a lot of subjects last year even if not every day, but was mostly lazy about updating the blog. For the next year, my resolution is the same. I will update the blog every day with new things I learn, as well as sometimes taking time to synthesize and organize some the old things as well. I do think that the quality of writing will take a backseat (as you would notice it did in my last post on learning about learning) as making sure to record things takes time, and doing it in well-formed sentences and paragraphs expands that time needed manifold. I just don't think I'm that productive to be able to do that, yet. If I succeed in 2016, that would be the goal for 2017.

And then there's one big project (other than work/career projects): I hope to be able to create a Khan Academy style course on time series analysis. In my own attempts to learn this stuff, I realized that whatever's available online for this is just not that good, and young students do really need and deserve better than what's available. I'm not saying that what I will make will be better, but I will try. I say Khan Academy style because I repeatedly run into lectures elsewhere where teachers just turn one powerpoint slide after another, and that just doesn't work. Anybody who's taken a khan academy course or even learned from a good school/university teacher actually working problems out on the blackboard knows that that way is a lot more effective, but sadly nothing of that type exists for time series analysis.

It already seems a little too ambitious of a plan given my schedule, my work-habits, and my smarts. But I guess if it weren't a little daunting I would never be bothered to try.

Meanwhile my parents are increasingly focused on their own resolution, to get me married. So maybe I'm not taking into account the unknown unknowns, but when can we do that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment